Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Punta Sayulita Longboard & SUP Classic

Once again, this year's competition did not disappoint.  The waves were here all weekend and the weather was pretty much perfect.  G. Love & Special Sauce performed on the beach Saturday night between two great days of men's and women's international surf and race talent.


One difference to this year's event was the addition of a youth SUP surf division and what was called the "Old School" division.  With some peer pressure and the fact that I did not want to listen to a few of my surfing friends talk about great competing was, I decided to join the "Old School" SUP Surf division.  This way, I could participate and go out there with the 40+ year olds and not have to compete agains the "20 somethings" pros.


Well, the idea of not competing against the 20 somethings was short lived as the brackets came out for the weekend's competition.  The "Old School" participants were included into the "Open" division.  In other words, the old guys were in same heats as some athletes who compete on the SUP World Tour.  Bracket fodder I guess.  Now, understand that the Punta Sayulita Classic is basically a fund raiser and an ocean/reef conservation awareness event and there is no prize money.  This does not mean the caliber of participants is less than World Class.  Hell, there are many SUP surf locals who call Sayulita or the surrounding area that have competed successfully internationally so being out in a lineup with guys of this caliber was not exactly new to me.


My heat the first day was before 9am so the crowd was growing but still modest and the waves were good.  As expected, I did not move on in the "winner's" bracket but joined the "Repechage" bracket.  I surfed again later in the afternoon after cooking on the beach waiting for 5 hours.  During that time we cheered on friends and local talent in the SUP Surf and Longboard divisions.  By the time my heat came up later in the afternoon there were thousands on the beach enjoying themselves and watching the competition.  Four lonely competitors out in the break with thousands of eyes watching.  Yes, I made sure my board short were tied up tight.  Though I surfed reasonably well, I did not qualify to continue on in the "Open" division(no surprise) and looked forward to the "Old School" Division Sunday.  A great experience the first day and hell, I got to surf with good waves, no one dropping in or tourists to look out for.  G Love & Special Sauce played on the beach that night to a big crowd with the surf breaking just feet from the stage.  Great day, night and I was more than exhausted.

Mom and Dad at the concert.



The second day of competition was the day to compete against the old guys.  Pretty much the whole bracket were guys who I surf with regularly(when I do go out) and knew I had little chance of doing well with little practice and the talent of the men even in this group.   I gave it my best but did not advance as far as I would have liked to.  Participating in an event like this was fantastic even though I was less than prepared and honestly out-skilled to do very well.  It amazed me how tired a I got during only a 15 minute heat.  The stress of competition and surfing as much as you can in only few minutes totally drained me.  The men and women who do this are in amazing shape and many of them compete in multiple divisions.  Lots of waiting, sun, getting stiff and tired.  Not quite as glamorous as one might think.
Congratulating fellow "Old Guy" Mitch on his heat.

There were lots of family and friends on the beach cheering on the old guys during this whole weekend and it was great to get an exhausted pat on the back when a heat was over or a big cheer after a good wave was ridden all the way to the beach.  Very much appreciated and it was fantastic to have "groupies".

A small part of the crowd

Anxiously waiting for my first heat.

Though I had nothing to compare it to I thought Punta Sayulita put on a great event.  They made it very entertaining for the spectator and the participant.  Many seasoned competitors and media people said the same.  The weekend came to a close at the awards dinner at the Don Pedros palapa which is one of the most spectacular settings in town.  It was a full house and it was lots of fun being part of the scene and rubbing elbows with some big names in the surf world.  No, I am not going out on tour anytime soon but I would not hesitate to be involved again next year.  More practice.

Trace hung out to cheer on his old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments